Saturday, April 21, 2012

My Tattoo advice for a friend

A friend asked me to give advice to one of her friends about getting tattoos.  This is what I told her, with some new stuff and edited to make the advice useful for anyone.

I wanted a tattoo since I was 18.  I chose something simple that will have the same meaning all my life and I waited a long time... about 8 years before I got it.  I don't think you need to wait 8 years.  I think about 6 months would be good-long enough to back out.  You should start with something that has meaning for you- not what you think other people think you should have.

I have 2 rules to follow. 
1. NEVER get a name.  My dad passed a few years ago and I've been thinking about a rose with his initials in it.  Initials are okay. Your children's names are okay. Never ever put your SO or lover's name on your person.  When things fall apart, you will regret it.
2. NEVER get a portrait.  They don't ever look right.

Do some research.  The library has some books with photos and designs for tattoos.  Look on the internet at tattoo images.  Try to stay away from anything too overdone.  It's horrible, seeing your tattoo on a flock of people you don't want to be associated with. Try to stay away from anything on the Tattoo Parlor's wall.
I have 4
1. An Ankh, Egyptian symbol for life.  Back side of my left hip.
2. One I've changed my mind about and am going to cover with the rose for my Dad.
3. A book on my right shoulder-my favorite
4. and an A on the back of my neck.
and I'm planning a 5th-my favorite Tarot card on my left arm-cap sleeve.

I designed all except the 2nd.  You can take in a drawing,  If you can't draw, you can find and print something from the internet then draw on it to make it look the way you want.
Take your time.  That's my big advice.  Ask yourself if this is something you will want to see on yourself 5 years from now.

Placement is important.  Your body is going to change over time, especially if you're a woman and planning to have kids.  We gain weight, stuff sags and your tattoo will stretch.

You want a good safe licensed artist.  Ask people with good tattoos where they got them done.  Get artist recommendations from your friends.  NEVER EVER agree to a free tattoo from a guy in a trailer. 

This is very important-Make sure the place you choose is clean.  If it isn't clean you could end up sick. Like dying sick-I'm talking AIDS and Hepatitis B or C sick.
If you have any questions about anything, let me know.  I could talk about tattoos all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment