Saturday, April 28, 2012

Road Trip


I don’t know if I’ve told you this-I love to travel.  I like camping in a tent and got to try an RV last summer…I like that better.  I like staying in hotels but I’d much rather stay with friends.   I like flying; I don’t mind going through security and waiting to board.  The actual flight is fine-but the take-off and landing make me a little nervous.  I haven’t tried travel by boat yet, but motion sickness notwithstanding, I would probably like that also.  Mostly I LOVE road trips; driving there, seeing the country and stopping whenever I want or need.   Stopping at any roadside attraction or truck stop I want.  It probably has to do with every family vacation we took when I was growing up was in the car/VW van and usually involved a tent. 

 ROAD TRIP!!

I’ve gone on lots of road trips, most of them to visit friends and relatives in nearby towns.  Some of them have been big, like to visit family in Chicago and on to Wisconsin to a place called The House on the Rock in Spring Green.  If you’ve never heard of it, check out their website http://www.thehouseontherock.com/.  It is a very interesting place with some odd/cool collections: arms and armor, automated music players (whole rooms that move and play music,) dioramas, dolls, lighters, tiffany lamps, other random stuff and the world’s largest indoor carousel-it really is amazing.

I love exploring the new place, or an old place.  I really like wandering around-seeing how people are in this place.  I am especially interested when I find little interesting places accidentally.  This past weekend Mom and I went to Lexington to visit Paul and Lori and the kids, so I could babysit and Mom could go to Sam’s Club. When we were on our way back, I was driving and needed to get out of the car for a little while-stretch my legs and wake-up some.  So I pulled off in Stanton, they have lots of fast food places.  I was headed back to the BP so I could get a soda or something. And I’m about to pull into the parking lot when I see the place across the road. I don’t remember what it’s called, but they have a deals barn.  We walked through, it’s like a little catch all kind of place-a truck stop for the truckless: tools, furniture, fake flowers, wind chimes, dragon figurines, UK shirts and leather motorcycle chaps-we were standing next to the chaps when Mom said “this would be a good place to do some Christmas shopping.” 
I’m sure she was talking about the UK shirts-right?

No comments:

Post a Comment