Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Hi, I'm Alita, Part II

My last blog, the one comparing the job hunt to online dating came about from a cover letter that I recently wrote. After finishing it, I realized that my cover letter read like a dating site intro.
Since I found out yesterday that I didn't get the job, I thought I might share that cover letter-redacted-of course.

And it also got me thinking...
Mom says she's sure it was because they already had someone in mind-that might be the case... but I keep thinking. I know they have to post the job and interview at least 2 people. If only there was a way they could tell us when this is the case so I don't get my hopes up.

That said... here is the cover letter, let me know what you think.

Dear Human Resources Manager,
Hello, my name is Alita, I am writing this to let you know that I am interested in the Librarian II position open at the Xxxxxxxx Branch. I like to keep myself busy doing a lot of different everyday jobs. Variety is part of why I love being a librarian; there are so many different things than need to be done: answering questions, writing reports, creating displays, recommending books, talking to people and finding lost mommies to name a few. Every day is different and they are all adventures.
For personal reasons, I moved home to Xxxxx Xxxxxx last year. Since moving back to the area, I have been volunteering for the Xxxxx County Public Library doing whatever the County
Librarian needs done. Lately, I’ve been doing some copy cataloging, shelf reading and weeding. I also get to help at the Circulation Desk.
My last professional position was as the part-time Archives Technician at the
Cincinnati Art Museum, while I enjoyed the history of art in the Cincinnati area, I was also reminded of why I prefer working in public libraries-the people. I like helping people of all
ages find materials to suit their needs, whether it’s for a school project or enjoyment.

In addition to over ten years of reference experience, I have several years’ planning and running programs-mostly for teens and adults, teaching computer classes and troubleshooting computer issues, and preparing reports and statistics. I also have experience supervising and training new hires; one of my former supervisors referred to me as a natural leader. I am very patient and have wonderful customer service skills – I believe in working together to give a great library experience.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
Sincerely,
Alita

No comments:

Post a Comment