Friday, March 9, 2012

Stars and Kites

Not too long ago I went to a funeral for a friend. Our priest mentioned more than once that Maria was a “shining star.”

That night I remembered to look up. I spent some time looking at those stars that wink and shine. I didn’t spend much time looking at stars in Cincinnati; too many things in the way (like lights and buildings.) I always forget how calming gazing at stars can be. While I appreciate the complement paid to my friend, I don't think it is quite right.

Maria was many things, calming was not one of them. She was funny, elegant and welcoming. She could see the beauty in the plain and as a Mary Kay representative, she could show you how to enhance what God gave you and sell you the makeup to do it. She was always happy to see everyone. Always a smile. Always an inspiration.

For the last few years of her life, Maria had been wheelchair bound. She had ALS. I don’t know much about the disease but I do know it takes away your motor function. Everything becomes a struggle-EVERYTHING.

I feel sad at Maria’s passing, but she had been sick for a long time. Maria will always be a vibrant and graceful person in my memories. Now she isn't confined to the wheelchair or the body that won't cooperate.

So really, she’s not a star, she’s a kite- a bright red kite dancing on the wind and she has flown off to another place where she can brighten other skies.

And now for a tangent, just because I can: right now it is Girl Scout Cookie time, my favorite is the shortbread. Shortbread is one of the types of cookies my family used to bake at Christmas time. We had cutters for shapes and iced them-red hearts, yellow stars, blue bells and green diamonds (they kind of look like kites. ) Writing about stars made me think of the cookies. And Maria would have appreciated that.

No comments:

Post a Comment